Conquering The Malahat & more...

1. pedalinpaddy says:

The URL for this route is http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6096179

This is a route I've been dreaming about and training for for some time. It takes you up over the Malahat and along the Trans Canada to Crofton where you catch a ferry to Saltspring Island. At this point, you've already done 100 kilometres and the leisurely ferry ride to SSI is a blessing because once you're on the island you've got some sweet cycling through the ups and downs of this rural landscape.

But don't get the idea that the remainder is gonna be a cake walk. The hill up out of Ganges towards Fulford Harbour where you catch the return ferry to Sidney, is a leg and lung breaker.

The road plateaus, thankfully, eventually and you're treated to a stunning vista of Fulford Harbour, perfect to sit and enjoy while you sip a drink and reload some carbs at one of the funky cafes around the ferry landing.

Once the ferry takes you back to Vancouver Island, it's easy, relatively flat 37 kms back to Victoria along Lochside Trail. All told, about 140 kms, minus the two ferry crossings (about 10 km total) for a nice net of 130 kms. What a day!

Last but certainly not least, I did this pulling my dog in her trailer behind my bike. Stopping at a truck weight station, my bike, me, my dog, trailer and pannier totaled 170 kgs. I'm 6'2" and 90 kgs, so that means, well, it means we were a heavy load!

Enjoy!