The pins do not respond since the change. I wrote direct feedback -crickets. I see many others are also having problems. I cannot make the markers respond and actually follow the rout I'm trying to log. Also - rather than following the street I'm tapping, tapping,tapping it market a route diagonally through a city block. "Your mileage may vary." Eh? Very frustrated. Also, the ads. "GET THE APP" do not take you this THIS app but some unrelated ride share app. Bait and switch?!
There was a change to Openlayers but that has been reverted. By now the site is back on Google Maps API and the feedback I've gotten is that routing is working as before. It was a version change of the Google API, so I guess it's possible that some routes that worked before have stopped doing so, but I haven't gotten other feedback stating this.
What browser / OS are you using? If you like, you can also provide the city/street you're trying to route along and I'll see if there's anything I can figure it.
Also note you can always switch to manual routing, which means you have to drop each point, but it does allow the route to go exactly where you place it.
Regarding the ads, they are from... well, advertisers. They are businesses not associated with this site and if they tell you to download an app, it won't have anything to do with milermeter.com.
Thank you Paul - I saw that Google Maps API was restored. The site works fine now on my iMac but not on my iPad. I'm sure it must be something to do with the functionality on that. Annoying but not much to be done. Thanks again for the quick response.
I'm working on a Web version that will support the iPad better. In the meantime, I've also developed a native App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/milermeter/id591504913